Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 8 - A Moment You Felt The Most Satisfied With Your Life

This is another impossible one - it's really difficult to pin the day I was most satisfied with my life - life is a series of struggles and challenges and differences. The real answer to this question is likely so uninteresting that I can't recall it. There is little regret to have for a three year old. If we are to flip this question; to find the times when we feel as though we have done the most with our lives; the answer to that question should almost always, depending on the time, be the day we're in, failing some recent setbacks. However, I do not feel like this was the original intent of the question - I believe they wish to know the time we were happiest - also an impossible question. So, instead, you'll learn of a day I was particularly satisfied.

In a business class I took, I met an audio engineer who was formerly involved with huge stage acts - Garth Brooks, KISS, Steve Vai - and applied to volunteer for him. The first time he called me was such a success that I was asked back within weeks to help construct the set and do some stagehand work for a show out in Surrey for Canada Day. It was as long a day as it was an incredible one - I set up drums and did some tuning for Chilliwack (to the jealousy of some of my peers), I coincidentally saw a friend there who was working for a politician and helped her get backstage to get some promotional shots, my grandfather stopped by to watch me work. But by 9 PM or so, I got one of the biggest kicks in my life.

The first real album I ever owned was Tom Cochrane's Life is A Highway. I was a child who didn't even know who Cochrane was at the time, but fell in love with that album. Being able to meet him and Red Rider was one of the biggest thrills in my life. One of the real joys I had working backstage was being able to talk to these people about the industry and the life without the glazed image they often provide for fans. He was an awesome guy, who put on a great show, and when it was all over, I was as happy as a guy could be breaking down scaffolding in the dusk.

No comments:

Post a Comment