Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 16 - My Views on Mainstream Music

Some would expect a blogger - especially one with a notable punk background and with a job as an independent promoter - would loathe the idea of mainstream music. But the dreams of the 90s are dead, and it's time to move on. Cobain's guitars have been moved to the Experience Music Project, Tom Morello carries around his acoustic guitar, and Green Day stopped writing about masturbation so they could write a contemporary rock opera.

I can't take issue with the songwriting either - long gone are the days of superbudgets for brand new artists. You need to be able to stand on some pretty serious merit to be in this game. Nicki Minaj - the current No. 1 spot, is largely there because of some absolutely ruthless guest verses on Kanye West's Monster and Ludacris's My Chick Bad. Bruno Mars' debut, Doo-Wops & Hooligans has been met with critical success alongside popular acclaim. It's been widely reviewed as one of the, if not the, best debut album of the year. 

It's likely my age showing, but I'm sometimes baffled by contemporary mainstream music charts. I don't even know where it all comes from, but the sheer depth of music these days is simply too much for me to keep up with anymore. The No. 2 album on the Billboard 200 right now is by Red. I don't even know who that is. The No. 3 spot is held by Ricky Martin, of whom I haven't heard since I stopped shaking my bon bon sometime in the mid-90s.

The financial woes of the major labels has led to some of the stiffest competition I've ever seen, and despite the business, the music is as healthy and vibrant as ever. The Decemberists even went to No. 1 this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment