Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 4 - Religion

I've had longstanding issues with religion - I prefer not to discuss the subject unless provoked. But, this is part of the 30 day challenge, and so I will indulge, if only an hour or two behind the times.

I love some of the morality that religion can provide - I find it absolutely necessary for a man's development to take some of the cornerstones of religion very seriously, especially that of humility and faith. I find it extremely valuable to the permanence of society that we trust in a few things; that we can grow individually, that we can grow collectively, and that we must all be treated, if not equally, then with dignity and respect.

I find it important to identify that the people that monitor some of the religions I've been more familiar with have been working outside the original teachings of the works they're supposed to adhere to. I understand the need for the church to develop and broaden it's viewpoint on the world. Like anything, a failure to adapt would mean the end of any church at all, and the teachings of Christ can be interpreted in many different ways. I cant partake in anything that doesn't see a woman or a homosexual as an equal member of their society.

I think that some people seem to identify with their god as a scare tactic to keep them motivated, and this disturbs me greatly. I often will use the analogy that my god is a lamp post somewhere. It has as much control over my life as some omnipresent force, and that point is absolutely inarguable as long as I identify a faith in my lamp post god. It really doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment